Oily skin Easy Solutions
Oily skin can be a pain to deal. The accumulation of excess oil on the outer skin layer often leads to whiteheads, blackheads, blind pimples and other skin irritations. But there is one big advantage. Oily skin tends to age better and develop fewer wrinkles than dry or normal skin. So, it’s not all bad.
The excess oil results from the sebaceous glands in the skin producing excess sebum. Those who have this condition usually have shiny skin and large pores.
Oily skin can be caused by genetics, dietary choices, too much stress or hormone changes in the body due to puberty. Women also are more prone to oily skin during menstrual cycles, pregnancy, or menopause and while taking birth control pills.
Oily skin can be difficult to manage, but there are many things you can do to solve this common problem. There is no need to use expensive, chemical-based skin care products. Many people have found simple home remedies to be equally effective.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for oily skin.
1. Egg Whites:
High in vitamin A, egg whites can effectively dry out skin blemishes as well as tone and tighten up oily skin.
1. Whip one egg white until stiff and spread it on your skin. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with warm water. Do this twice a week.
2. Whip one egg white, add the juice from half a lemon and mix it well. Apply the mixture on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. This will tighten the skin and soak up excess oil.
2. Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid that works like an astringent. It also has antiseptic properties that can lighten skin discolorations and restore the skin’s pH balance.
1. Mix one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice with one-half teaspoon of distilled water. Apply it on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash your face with warm water. Lemon juice can dry out your skin, so apply some oil-free moisturizer afterward. Do this once daily.
2. Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice, one-half tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of milk. Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water. If done once daily, this remedy will give you positive results within a week.
Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps gently exfoliate the skin and absorbs excess oil from the face.
1. Apply one tablespoon of plain yogurt thoroughly over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with cool water. Do this once daily.
2. Alternatively, mix one tablespoon each of organic yogurt and finely ground oatmeal. Then stir in one teaspoon of warm honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Tomatoes are great for oily skin due to their cooling, clarifying and astringent properties. The high vitamin C content in tomatoes is very helpful for acne-prone skin. Plus, the natural oil-absorbing acids in tomatoes help get rid of excess oil.
1. Cut a tomato in half and rub it on your skin.
2. Allow the juice to soak into your skin for at least 15 minutes.
3. Rinse your skin with cold water, pat it dry and apply a light oil-free moisturizer.
Note: You can also make a face mask by combining three tablespoons of tomato juice with one tablespoon of honey.
Apples work as a great exfoliating agent and they have mild antiseptic, astringent, and soothing properties that make them a great home remedy for oily skin. The malic acid in apples helps exfoliate dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil from the skin’s surface.
1. Grate half an apple and place the shreds on your skin. Leave it on the skin for 15 minutes and then wash it off with tepid water.
2. Mix one teaspoon each of grated apple, yogurt and lemon juice to form a smooth paste. Apply it all over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then rinse your face with cool water.
Cucumbers are also very beneficial for oily skin due to their cooling, astringent, and soothing properties. Also, the high vitamin and mineral content, including vitamins A and E, magnesium, and potassium, are good for oily skin.
1. Cut a fresh organic cucumber into thick slices, and rub them thoroughly on your face. Leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning. Do this daily before going to bed.
2. Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon each of cucumber juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture to your skin, let it dry, and then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily. This remedy can also be used to lighten freckles and reduce sunburn.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties that are good for acne caused by a combination of oily skin and bacteria. Also, it is a rich source of alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) that help tone and moisturize oily skin.
1. You can make a homemade toner by diluting one-fourth cup of apple cider vinegar with three-fourths cup of distilled water. Apply this toner on your skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for five to 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with cool water. Do this several times a week to see positive results.
2. Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it every night before going to bed. This will help balance hormones, which in turn will control the production of excess oil in the skin.
Note: If you do not have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
Milk is a great oil-free cleanser that can make oily skin soft and supple. Milk has alpha hydroxy acids that gently exfoliate the skin and also help maintain the skin’s natural pH balance.
1. Mix two or three drops of sandalwood or lavender oil with two tablespoons of milk.
2.Apply the mixture on your face using a cotton ball.
3. Gently massage the skin for a few minutes to improve blood circulation and then go to sleep.
4. In the morning, wash your face with cold water.
5. Do this daily.
9. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera has antimicrobial properties that make it ideal for treating acne-prone oily skin. Also, aloe vera can help absorb excess oil from your skin’s surface.
1. Cut an aloe vera leaf in half and extract the fresh gel. Apply the gel on your face. Let it dry and then wash your face with clean water. Do this two or three times a day.
2. Alternatively, boil an aloe vera leaf in water for a few minutes. Grind the leaf along with some honey to make a paste. Apply it thoroughly over your oily skin. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Do this once every week.
Honey can help reduce excess oil on the skin’s surface, clear pores and even prevent wrinkles. Honey has moisturizing properties that nourish the skin and keep it sufficiently moisturized without making it oily. Also, the natural antiseptic property of honey is highly beneficial for acne-prone oily skin.
1. Apply a thin layer of honey over your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then wash your face. Do this twice daily.
2. You can also mix a small amount of ground almonds with honey. Gently massage the paste onto your oily skin to remove oil and dead skin cells. Then wipe your face with a warm cloth to open up the pores. Do this once a week.
Use these home remedies to lessen the oiliness on your skin’s surface and refine the pores for a more pleasing look.